Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Progression of the Spiritual Life

(“Salvation and the ‘Sinners Prayer’ Part III”)

Brad—you bring a great element to this discussion, which is along the lines of where I wanted to go with it. I think that we have become accustomed (as I mentioned in my first post) to the “instant gratification” approach to life (which includes faith and love and all that other stuff). We want God to touch us with a magical wand that turns us instantly into the kind of person he wants us to be. Well, at least I do sometimes. It sure would be easier than having to actually work at being holy.

Instead of looking at our spirituality as a one-time event, we need to see it as a road to be traveled, a journey, a progression. The very path (meaning the experiences we go through) are part of what shapes us as a whole being. I was working on an assignment for class the other day and we were contemplating the difference between the instant gratification mentality verses the process mentality of how we grow. It got me thinking about growing up. I don’t know about you, but when I was growing up (meaning my body was changing from a child’s to an adult’s), I experienced growing pains. My bones, muscles, ligaments and tendons were being stretched and building more mass to be able to support me. Sometimes, this hurt. I remember going through periods where my body ached and I was sore all over.

While I do not pretend to be a doctor; I would assume that if we (our bodies) changed from an infants to an adult body over night (in an instant); the growth would be so drastic that it would likely kill us (I believe that there is actually a medical condition where a person’s body can grow so fast that it does kill them). Could we not apply this very concept to our spiritual growth? We want so badly sometimes to just be changed, but what if that change was so drastic that it would literally kill us? Perhaps there is something to this whole progression/process thing after all!

So what is the pilgrimage that we travel? (By the way, I agree that there are not necessarily varying levels of salvation, rather there are varying levels of spirituality.) Many great Church fathers and mothers have presented a four stage process that we go through. The first is awakening. This is the stage that we encounter God and ourselves in a way we have never experienced before. The second is purgation. This is the stage where God brings to light the sin in our lives and we learn to relinquish those things. We make amends for things we have done wrong, we seek to be more Christlike, we are faced with the darkness within us and recognize the need for the Light of Christ to fill us. The third stage is illumination. During this stage, we seek to fully consecrate ourselves to God. We take all of the ugliness and we surrender it to God. We encounter God in such a way that we find he is always there and constantly holding us and transforming us into the likeness of Christ. The last stage is union. It is usually in this stage that people encounter the dark night of the senses and the dark night of the soul. We cannot feel God, we have no emotional security that he is there. But it is in these times that our faith is put the test and we continue to depend on God even though we can’t “feel” him. This is also the stage that many mystics enter into. Finding the complete joy of God and entering into his presence without the pretense of emotional bondage. It is a time of truly mystical union to Christ. See Robert Mulholland’s book Invitation to a Journey.

Here is the interesting part of the discussion. God can be taking us through different stages all at the same time. There may be areas of our life where we have come to full wholeness in Christ while God is just awakening another area that needs to be transformed (Mulholland). This means that we will go through these stages in more of a cyclical than a linear path. The most important thing to remember here is that it is God who is taking us into these stages; he is the one who guides and directs and transforms. We cannot transform ourselves (that would be called conformity and usually it is to our own ideals of who Christ is—in other words, legalism).

Back to the questions at hand. My concern with holiness isn’t so much being able to tell in other people, but that we should be aware of our own Christlikeness. I learned an interesting thing the other day about the “cross” that we must bear in our daily lives. I don’t know about you, but I had always assumed that the “cross” was external. It was the nasty co-worker, the neighbor I didn’t get a long with, the family member who irritated me, or the physical ailments I struggle with. But the shocking truth I’ve come to realize (again, see Mulholland), is that our “cross” consists of the points of unChristlikeness in my life. This (or these) is the cross I must bear. A holiness meter, while interesting in an of itself, is not the point. Understanding where I fail to live as Christ lived is the point.

So, with ALL of this being said. How do we convey the understanding that a one-time prayer does not necessarily constitute salvation? That salvation is something that we must (as you pointed out) work out with “fear and trembling.” That holiness is not something that we do in and of ourselves but it is rather the work of Christ in us, transforming us to his very image. That salvation is not being saved from hell, or from others, or even from Satan, but from ourselves. Why is this message so hard for Western Christians to understand?

No comments: