Tuesday, August 21, 2007

How much do you really know?

Context is what it's all about.

Over the last month or so, the amount of cultural history I don't know has overwhelmed me. Oh, I know LOTS of factual history...what battles took place when, who was President of the U.S.A. in what year, I even know how to look up things on the Internet. After all, you can trust EVERYTHING on the Internet, right?

My wife and I subscribe to Christian History magazine. It has really opened my eyes to some things that I just couldn't really get anywhere else. It's a very broad overview of a lot of topics, and constantly gives me MORE TO READ. Yeah, that's what I need to do...read more. Christian History does a great job of providing multiple sides to a biography. (trying to be journalistically fair) Jan Hus, Thomas Merton, Thomas A'Kempis, C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, are just a few of the names of people profiled in the last few years. Lots of times, we will see something we want to explore further, often archaeology based. (i.e. Dead Sea Scrolls, etc.)

Occasionally, we will pick up a copy of Biblical Archaeology Review. There's a part of me that wanted to be Indiana Jones when I was growing up. Well, without all the face melting parts, I guess. In a recent issue of B.A.R. there was an article about the Maccabees. Okay, so I'm writing about context, I guess I need to step away from the B.A.R. conversation, briefly, to bring you all into MY contextual world.

I'm off in my own little world, but that's alright, they know me there.

Judas Maccabee (Judah Maccabeus), was the son of a Jewish priest (Mattathias), and led the revolt against the Seleucid empire. This entire "conflict" is covered completely in scripture....oh, wait, I see a handful of you digging through your Bibles...Brad, I can't find it, and don't remember this story from Sunday School...you're making this up! I'm not. I promise. The story of the Maccabees is recorded in the Book of Maccabeees (I thru IV) in the deuterocanonical books. These books are often referred to as the Apocrypha, but those in the Orthodox traditions (Greek, Easter, Russian) find the term Apocrypha to be offensive. The deuterocanonical (secondary canon) books represent the jewish literature/scripture written in the intertestamental period. Yes, there were actually things written in the 300 years between Malachi's last word, and Matthew's first!!! (Which, actually, Mark was written first....but I digress) The books of the Maccabees is where we get the story of Hannukah. We can discuss the value and purpose of the deuterocanonical books another time. Just so you all know, I believe that even though we are not ACTUALLY Jewish, our ETHNIC and CULTURAL heritage is Jewish by way of Christ. (I remember reading somewhere that He was Jewish....probably on the Internet)

So, B.A.R. had an article on the Maccabees, specifically about Judas Maccabee's tomb. Fascinating. During a roughly 60 year period, Jewish tombs were often HUGE, cathedral like facades....marble, columns, carvings, different architectures. When Jesus was "Woe"ing the Pharisees in Matthew 23, He compared them to whitewashed tombs that on the outside are beautiful, and on the inside are full of rotting corpses. It is generally believed that He was referring to the tombs of this period, because we know that during Jesus's day, tombs were VERY uneventful...an unadorned hole, with a rock as a door.

Rob Bell, in Velvet Elvis, talks about Jesus and the disciples in Cesarea-Phillipi. C-P was the "world-center" of the goat god, Pan. Bell paints a word-picture of the nearby cliff with a giant crack in it, from which the worshippers of Pan believed the spirits of hell would come and go. (Makes hell sound a little like beehive, actually.) Pan's followers built a temple at that spot where the followers could do all sort of things with goats. (All sorts of things = the G rated version of what is effectively NC-17 for mature audiences only. I think you understand.) Guess what the crack was called? -- The Gates of Hell. So, Jesus, as He tells the disciples in Matthew 16, that "on this rock" (Peter) He would build his church, and even the Gates of Hell would not be able to stand against it. He was pulling in a cultural reference that the disciples would immediately recognize. Not just that, He was pointing out that the people, Pan's worshippers, and those like them, would not be able to stand against the onslaught of the Kingdom of God!!! That just amazes me.

So, I'm drawn to the fact that I don't know anything. I don't fully understand the cultural aspects of what Jesus said. If I can understand that, then I can more easily draw the correlation to what it means for us as believers today.

Ugh. Now, I have a lot more reading to do.

No comments: