Sunday, August 19, 2007

Legacy and Remembrance - A Trip to Canada

Okay, folks, yet another break from the conversation at hand to pass on some things about my life. Yep, yep, yep, sometimes life gets in the way.

I posted about two weeks ago that my grandfather was in the hospital up in Canada. Well, to make a long story short, he died. I heard about it 45 minutes after he passed (Monday morning April 13th), and was informed later that day that the memorial service would be at 1:30 in the afternoon on Wednesday…in Calgary….two days away. It wasn’t rocket science to figure out that if I wanted to be THERE, I’d have to leave on Monday. So, I called my sister who lives here in the Seattle area and we put together the plan for driving to Calgary, Alberta. We left around 2:30pm, Monday afternoon.

My sister, my wife, my eight year old, my two year old, and I piled into my 2005 Honda CR-V, and headed East. Cozy.

Dinnertime rolled around before we got to Spokane. We made it to glorious, Ritzville, Washington. Now, don’t get your hopes up; Ritzville doesn’t exactly live up to its name. We stopped at Jake’s Restaurant. Jake’s…with the “24 hour tire repair” sign in the window. Ah, Jake’s. As far as five star restaurants go, this one didn’t even get off the planet. Think about the greasiest, most questionable, road food, drive in, diner, dive, you’ve ever seen on Feeding on Asphalt, and you are approaching, but not quite there yet for an image. Alton Brown would start first by having dark suited men coming in acting like food inspectors. This place was scary. HOWEVER, the service was not too shabby. The food was decent. The fries were great. And the locals thought that my kids were cute. Our two year old kept standing up and pointing to the pictures (that were for sale) and saying, “hummingbird” or “eagle” depending on the bird of choice. Very Vanna White, and exceptionally cute.

We left Ritzville and headed for Spokane, cut North on 2 and drove to meet up with Hwy 95 at Sandpoint, Idaho. Then, we drove North from Sandpoint to the U.S./Canadian border…at 1:00 in the morning. (I had forgotten about the time-zone change.) I honestly wonder how many ways one can be asked one has fruit in the car.

“Do you have any fruit.”
“No, sir.”
“Weapons?”
“No.”
“More than 10,000 dollars in cash?”
“No.”
“Do you have any fruit?”
“Uh, no.”
“Where you headed?”
“Calgary, for a funeral. Staying the night in Cranbrook.”
“Who all is in the car?”
“My sister, my wife, my daughter, and this is my son.”
“Do you have any fruit?”
“Uh…..no, sir. No fruit.”

He looked over our passports/birth certificates, asked the kids if I was daddy, etc; one more time if we had fruit, and then let us on our way. I appreciate the security of our borders. Terrorists BEWARE, if they even THINK you are bringing fruit into the country…..oh, baby…..it’s all over! (SIDE NOTE: For the record, I know most of the people who read my blog. I don’t think very many of them are terrorists. If you know any terrorists, please tell them to read my blog. Maybe they’ll get something out of it that surprises them, other than my advice on crossing the border with fruit. Just a suggestion)

We arrived at the Super 8 in Cranbrook. Don’t stay there. ‘Nuff said. Okay, one more thing. Eeeeeeeew. There, ‘nuff said.

Tuesday morning, we left Cranbrook around 8:00 and headed north to Radium Hot Springs where I missed my turnoff, and ended up going to connect with the TransCanada highway at the town of Golden. We stopped in Golden for lunch. Our 8 year old saw a Chinese restaurant….”I want Chinese, I want Chinese”. So, we went in. The Red Diamond Chinese restaurant…..see if you can sense a theme…..Eeeeeeeew. ‘Nuff said. We all had burgers. No fries, no sides, no nothing. Burger, bare plate. Well, it was cheap.

We rolled into Cochrane, Alberta (Just Northwest of Calgary) and hit our hotel. HOORAY!!! God is Good. The Travelodge in Cochrane is now one of my top places to stay. Service, facilities, beds, rooms, amenities, all were top notch. It was even across the street from a Tim Horton’s. (If you’re not Canadian, you won’t understand why that’s important. Hmmm….I’m not Canadian. HA HA HA HA. But, for the Canadians that read my blog, they’ll get it.) After dropping off our stuff at the hotel, we drove North a short distance to the RV park where my parents were staying.

Today’s Lesson: Don’t Mess with the Mind of Your Barista

My wife likes her coffee “not too hot”. A friend of ours has a thermometer on his watch. Once, she said, “This is perfect. Dan, how hot is it?” He pointed his watch at it, and informed us that the coffee was one hundred and twenty degrees. It’s important to understand that, because I now order my wife’s coffee at that temperature. The Starbucks in Cochrane is relatively new. I went in, ordered my Grande Caramel Macchiato, and a Double-Tall Latte, 120 degrees. The barista’s eyes went huge! “ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY DEGREES?!?!?!” Then, it hit me. Canada. OH, THOSE CANADIANS. The poor girl was thinking 120 degrees Celsius. (Roughly 248 degrees Fahrenheit) Boy, I’m glad I got that worked out, or my wife would have been in the hospital.

The funeral on Wednesday was exciting! First, I got to see my aunts and uncles from my grandpa’s side of the family. I rarely get to see them, and even more rarely see them together in the same place. One uncle is a missionary in Thailand, one is a an aerospace engineer in Missouri, one aunt and her husband are taking a missionary position in Mexico City, and the other aunt lives in Calgary with her husband. I miss them all terribly, and it’s always great to see them. Now, on to the story…where is the excitement?

The “family” met downstairs in the basement of the church, and prepared to enter the sanctuary as a group. My uncle who lives just North of Calgary had to wait for my aunt (his wife) who has Multiple Sclerosis and is wheelchair bound to arrive from her care facility on a special bus. We all headed upstairs, while he got into the elevator with my aunt. They got stuck in the elevator. We’re all waiting to enter the sanctuary, the music is playing, and there’s all sorts of shouting from inside the elevator. Chaos. Ushers rushing around, looking for someone who knows how the elevator works. My cousins running up and down the stairs, taking “orders” from my uncle. Someone drained all of the oil from the elevator to drop it back down to the bottom floor. My uncle pressed the emergency alarm. Klaxons going off all around. The elevator was rated for 550 lbs. Well, with my aunt’s electric wheelchair, my aunt, my uncle, and two of their grandkids, they exceeded that limit. By dropping them to the bottom floor, and letting everyone off but my aunt and one of the grandkids, made it possible to lift the chair up to the top floor.

The funeral was excellent. My missionary uncle acted as the master of ceremonies and did a phenomenal job. We sang multiple hymns; another uncle and my grandpa’s youngest brother gave eulogies and tributes. Then another of grandpa’s brothers (he only had 16 brothers and sisters) gave another tribute. Then, my dad got up, and I nearly lost it. When my dad gets choked up talking about his kids, I can’t control it. The tears come. He nearly lost his composure as well, but that was partly because my sister was crying right next to me. It was a beautiful service, followed by a reception downstairs.

Thursday was the burial. We stood around the grave, sang a hymn, and talked of memories of grandpa. It was special, and I’m very glad I was there. That afternoon, mom, dad, and my sister drove to Didsbury to see some other relatives, but I took the kids to a historical/amusement park in Calgary. That lightened the mood significantly. It was a wonderful day.

Friday morning, we left Calgary/Cochrane and started for home. (Coming back into the States, we were asked about fruit again. Apparently, it’s a real problem.) We made it to Spokane, but couldn’t find a hotel and ended up driving all the way to Moses Lake. We then left for home Saturday morning and got into Seattle around Noon.

2300 miles. I don’t want to drive anymore for a while.

So, that’s my trip. It was great to see my relatives, and people that I haven’t seen for a lot of years. My family is extremely important to me. It’s a pity that we have to wait for a death to bring us back together in person.

I will respond to the remainder of your original post, Natalie, soon. I will also respond to your response to the original response. The conversation must continue.

No comments: