Friday, November 09, 2007

First Cup

I'm thinking about my wife right now. (taking a break from thinking about Off the Map....I'll get back to it, I promise.)

Many of you know that I work from home several days a week. For a High-Tech job, that's actually more unusual than it sounds, especially for someone in middle management like myself. This means that I get to be here for my kids when they take a break from school, or when they are having lunch.

The day starts, however, with the coffee pot.

It has taken me a long time and a lot of practice to get the "perfect" cup of coffee brewed. I'm still not quite there, but it's getting close.

Anne likes her coffee "cooler" than most, as I've blogged before. Often, she will let the cup of coffee sit, sometimes several hours, until it's room temperature. Then, she'll down it all in one big gulp. I prefer mine steaming hot. So, I jokingly shake my head when she pours the last dregs of the pot that's been off for over an hour into her coffee mug before I make another pot.

I want everyone who reads this to understand something, though. She gets the first cup. She may not drink it first, but when I make coffee in the morning before she gets up -- She gets the first cup.

Isn't it amazing how somethng as simple as pouring a cup of coffee and letting it sit on the counter can be a daily ritual and act of love.

She gets the first cup.

No comments: