Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Me, Music and McClaren - Friday at Off-The-Map

While I’ve read just about every book that Brian McLaren has ever written, this was my first real opportunity (other than podcasts) to hear him speak. He was originally planning on speaking about his new book Everything Must Change, but ended up switching topics. He said this was a rare opportunity for him to speak second. He had had been preceded by Rose Madrid Swetman of the Vineyard Community Church in Shoreline, WA. (About a half hour away from my house.)

Rose co-pastors with her husband, and seems like an absolute joy to work with. Since they are so close, I fully intend to show up at the Vineyard for a service some morning. **SIGH** Ah, but the best laid plans of mice and men….

Rose discussed some of the struggles she has with “Missional” Christians who do a lot of talking, but not a lot of actual activity to bring the mission of Christ to the people. I was intrigued with a term that she used -- “the new humanity of Christ”. She said it several times, just nonchalantly as though we would all know what it was. Now, let me back up a little. This was simply a term I wasn’t used to, I was not offended at all with how she presented it. I love the term. I asked her what it meant and if she could elaborate on it. From my notes, I have that she said that Jesus was what Israel was supposed to be. (Also an interesting turn of phrase. ) We are born into this new humanity when we are born again in Christ. It’s a new creation thing. I love it. Anyway, it wasn’t her term. She said that it was either Leslie Newbigin or N.T. Wright that had coined the phrase. I’ve read a lot of Newbigin, and very little Wright, so I’m going to make a wild guess that it was Wright. If anyone reading this can dispute that, let me know!!!

Anyway, after Rose spoke, McLaren took the microphone.

It is important at this point to discuss the music. Each breakout session has a different band at OTM. For the Rose Madrid Swetman and Brian McLaren session, the main music was Urban Improv, a local improvisational jazz quartet. Then between Rose and Brian, a lady name Kristy Smith (http://www.kristykarensmith.com/) provided the interim music. Both Urban Improv and Kristy Smith were excellent. Kristy sang a song that she had written for her daughter when they were going through a “tough” time. It was poignant, and wonderful.

Brian changed his mind about talking about Everything Must Change and talked about the music. He said, “I see a lot of similarities between the struggles that are happening in the church and music.” I was on the edge of my seat with that statement. Where was he going to go with this one? I’ll do the best I can to paraphrase.

Classical music is all about the score. The notes are solid. The emotion is written into the notation. The time signature never changes. When someone goes to the symphony to hear Beethoven’s 9th, they expect to hear the 9th symphony with very few changes. The New York Philharmonic would play it nearly identical to how the Seattle Symphony would. (Of course, there was a thing recently on NPR about Bach’s music actually being quite different from what he played. I guess he was quite the improviser….but I digress)

Improvisational Jazz, though, is not about the score. The players are given a chord chart and a time signature, and generally are allowed to play within the notes that chord progression. As a result, they are always thinking several seconds ahead in preparation of the next chord change. Do they shun classical music? Absolutely not. Everything that they do is built on the keys, notes, and structures of classical. Improvisational jazz could not exist without classical music; could not exist without that foundation. (Don’t slap me around for mentioning what sounds like foundationalism….not yet, at least.)

Then, there is the singer/songwriter – the Kristy Smith’s of the world. While the structure is pretty staid at verse : bridge : chorus, she is able to “play” within that structure and come up with something beautiful that no one has ever created before. Elvis Costello once said that he was amazed that with only 13 notes, so much music could be created! (I’m a huge Elvis Costello fan….but have never owned an Elvis Costello album…can you believe it?)

There are some in Christian circles who believe that theology is like classical music. It’s been done. Once it’s there, it never changes. Then you have some that are trying to get their head wrapped around the direction theology is heading, soon the “future” will be the now. Those are the improvisational jazz artists. Then, you have those who are drawing from tradition and still creating new and beautiful things. Classical music is important, but music is always changing. Yet truth (the structure) never changes.

Guess which movements the Emerging Christians fit into? Classical? Jazz? Folk? This is the part I love. ALL OF THE ABOVE!!! Classical has its place in the conversation. I want to embrace that tradition, but I also want to be open to things that God is revealing as I go forward.

I’m still processing this model. It’s so easy to use and explain to people who are musically savvy.

Ha, I keep saying that. I’m processing….I’m getting my head wrapped around….my brain is full.

McLaren was asked about seminaries. It is a well known fact that he did not go to seminary. It is also a well known fact that his writing infers that he’s not a big fan of seminaries. Clarification…he would like to see, say, a Baptist go to a Presbyterian seminary and get a different view than just pure Baptist, Baptist, Baptist throughout their education. His simple answer, was “Seminaries are teaching classical music, and when the new pastors get out into the real world, they discover that everyone is listening to Rap.”

A seminary, in his words, needs to be:
· 1 part monastery
· 1 part mission
· 1 part seminar

I expect that I will break that down further when I have a chance.

Brain Still full. Keep watching.

Coming up next: Ken Loyd, The Refuge, The Bridge and Ufizzi. I’m glad I’ve made some new friends, and only hope that I can do these topics justice.

Thanks for your support!!!

Brad

3 comments:

Erin said...

Thanks for so thoroughly covering one I missed! I don't know where I was, but now I wish I had heard the discussion about music.

Pam Hogeweide said...

same here, good job retelling what your learned. i love the music analogy.

and what rose said about talking missional versus doing missional. however, i think talking has great value for it is in the exchange of ideas that we inspire one another to Do. Some of us will be very good at the talking, and some of us will be very good at the doing. I would like to think of it as a team thing rather than an individual thing. Besides, what looks missional in my life is probably going to look a lot different in the next person's life. This would make for an interesting discussion.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, ooh, ooh, can I just be good at the talking? I'm a good talker. HA HA HA HA.

I agree, Pam, that it should be a team effort. Could we really be the body of Christ if we were all left thumbs?

I understand her concern, though. It's more than a "Faith without works is dead" kind of thing. It's a works without works sort of thing.

Brad