Saturday, January 24, 2009

Microsoft Layoffs and What it Means

Okay, I'm not going to go into anything that isn't already public knowledge here. But, there have been enough requests for information that I had to address the topic.

I work for Microsoft.

Microsoft did a round of formal layoffs for the first time in the company's history on Thursday.

I was not laid off.

1400 jobs were eliminated. 840 of those jobs were in the greater Puget Sound area. Let's put this in context. 96,000 employees worldwide.....40,000 in Seattle/Redmond....1400 is about 1.5% of the workforce.

All of the employees let go are eligible for rehire, and may be able to find something else inside Microsoft. In fact, I know that our team is picking up a handful of people.

I commend the upper management for an incredible job of cutting expenses BEFORE cutting people....closing down building projects....cutting travel.....and so on.

So, there you go. I'm safe. My job is safe. Please pray for those who did lose their jobs.

No comments: