Monday, January 28, 2008

Not getting better

My good friend Jerry has a list of statements that he bases much of his career and life on. I have picked up some of this over the years, and have learned to live by them. Example: People know what they like, and like what they know. In the software industry this is an extremely important axiom. How many of you have played with Microsoft Office 2007? Notice anything different? Like, maybe, NOTHING IS IN THE SAME PLACE IT USED TO BE?!?!?! I hate it. I didn't want it to change. (People know what they like, and like what they know.)

Jerry is also fond of saying, "When it rains, it snows."


So, as I wrote in my last post, we've had a sewage backup at our place. (Although, I'm highly intrigued who decided to call it a backup...it is certainly far closer to a "restore". Sorry.....geeky side of me.) We had the septic tank pumped. I've run an auger through the drain.

Three loads of wash later..........gerblooop.......flood again.





I'm very confused.

So, I pulled up the toilet. (I was going to have to anyway, in order to put down new flooring in the bathroom/laundry room anyway.) I then ran the auger through the 4 inch pipe directly, and pulled a hose in from outside through the window, and ran water as hard as I could into the drain.....no problems.


That was Saturday.


Last night, after some more laundry (hey, folks, it's been nearly a week...we have kids.....yeah, there's always laundry) it flooded again shortly before we went to bed.


Then, it started to snow.

My father in law is supposed to be coming up from Oregon to help out...but they have between 4 and 8 inches of snow. We now have about 4 inches at our place, and it's still coming down.


I'm feeling a little dejected.

It's cold in our house....lack of flooring will do that. There's a 4 inch wide hole leading directly to our septic tank in the bathroom. The valve from the wall to the toilet won't close properly, so I have a makeshift trough set up to drain the slight trickle into the 4 inch hole I mentioned prieviously.

When it rains, it snows.

2 comments:

Pam Hogeweide said...

bummer. total bummer. do you guys at least have two bathrooms? otherwise, how do you, um, take care of "business?"

(we barely got any snow, but it's gotten icy. so my kids have no school today!)

Anonymous said...

3 bathrooms...and we've rented a honey bucket...it's out on the front lawn.

I'm hesitant to do ANYTHING requiring a drain, though.

We're supposed to get more snow tonight.