Wednesday, October 03, 2007

I am Generation X

I am generation X.


My birth date fell dead in the middle of the Generation X “beginnings” and my compatriots in Gen X have gone on to help form society as it sits today. I live in Seattle, and my musical tastes fall directly into the Seattle scene and “grunge” from the late ‘80s, early ‘90s. (i.e. Pearl Jam, SoundGarden, MudHoney, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Screaming Trees, etc.) I don’t do drugs, never did. I don’t condone the use of drugs, as some of the bands mentioned did, but many of these bands embodied the nature of Gen X. Pearl Jam still does.


Wikipedia has the following to say about Gen X:


“As young adults, Generation X drew media attention in the late 1980s and early 1990s, gaining a stereotypical reputation as apathetic, cynical, disaffected, streetwise loners and slackers. As Generation Xers have now become American parents, however, their media persona is gradually becoming more that of protective security moms and dads in a post 9/11 world.


In addition, Generation X is noted as one of the most entrepreneurial and tech-friendly generations in American history, as they've driven a majority of the Internet's growth and ingenuity from day one. Amazon, Google, Yahoo, MySpace, Dell, and countless other billion-dollar tech companies were founded by American Gen Xers. Even Wikipedia itself was founded by Gen Xers”


Gen X consists of the most billionaires per capita of any age group. I’m proud to be Gen X. I’d probably be prouder if I was one of those billionaires. **GRIN**


First, a disclaimer, Wikipedia is a fine way of getting quick information, but since it is “open source” and “open publishing”, generally it should NOT BE USED as a formal reference. Please, please, please, don’t publish this in a book and claim that it is gospel! It’s just something someone anonymous said about a group of people.


So, I want to focus on something in that Wikipedia article. Note the stereotypical reputation….apathetic, cynical, disaffected, streetwise loners and slackers. That is an unfortunate, but enlightening, description. First, it is a cultural perception. And it was consistently pounded in the media of the time. Movies like “Singles” showed the societal perception as though it was a reality.


Let me tell you how I see it.


Gen X is not, and was not, apathetic. In fact, Gen Xers are some of the most passionate people I have ever met.


Gen X is disaffected. The American Heritage dictionary defines disaffected as an adjective meaning resentful and rebellious, especially against authority. Wow, that takes on a negative connotation. Try this one. Disaffected people question thinking to move thought patterns (both personal and corporate) in a new direction or to better understand current situations. THAT is Generation X.


Gen X were not and are not “streetwise loners”. Streetwise, yes. Loners, no. Gen X travels in packs. Note, not gangs. Gen X travels in groups of people with common thought, opinions and ideas, but are always willing to play “Devil’s Advocate”. (See disaffected above)


Gen X are slackers? If one begins to question the government, society, the church, and doesn’t want to be a “team player”, then they are assumed to not be passionate about anything and not want to do anything. Is it possible that they just want to do things different? The important element is “do they actually go on to do anything.”


I am Generation X. I have a voice. I have ideas. I question what I’m told. I argue until the truth is apparent, even in paradox.


I am a Christian. I have a voice. I have ideas. I question what I’m told. I argue until the truth is apparent, even in paradox.


These are just the beginnings of some thoughts that I will be expanding on in my next few posts. I just want to set the tone. I will be making some bold statements about the state of society, about reaching people who are my age, about the way the church got into the state that it is in, and perhaps even some suggestions on how to change. I will be quoting from theologians, “Gen X” musicians, and people my age. Which means that this could get down and dirty. I plan on bringing in what I'm learning in my atonement study, as well as a handful of other things.


Always looking for comments.

No comments: